Mental Health Aids logo

Do you, or does someone you know, need help now?

Help for mild to moderate mental health issues

If you or someone you know has a mild to moderate mental health issue, the sections below outline where you can go for help.

If you or someone you know needs help now

If you or someone you know needs urgent help in the community, call MHAIDS 24/7 on 0800 745 477 or find other options for support here.    

If you are concerned about your safety or the safety of someone you care for, call the emergency services on 111 for an immediate response.

1. Self help, online therapy and phone helplines

For some people, self help and online therapy can be a good first step.

Websites we recommend for young people:

Websites we recommend for adults:

Sometimes it helps to talk to someone confidentially and anonymously. The helplines below operate 24/7 and are free to phone. They are staffed by trained counsellors who can help you talk through problems and identify ways of coping.

  • Lifeline: 0800 543 354
  • Kidsline: 0800 543 754
  • Youthline: 0800 376 633
  • Women’s Refuge Crisis Line: 0800 733 843
  • Depression Helpline: 0800 111 757
  • Samaritans: 0800 726 666
  • Healthline: 0800 611 116
  • Need to talk? Text or call free 1737

Download a poster with information on accessing mental health service in a crisis here (pdf).

Sometimes our whānau needs to enhance their wellbeing t be able to support a person experiencing mental health and/or addiction concerns.

  • Atareira - Services for family whānau of people with mental health or addictions concerns: 04 499 1049 / download brochure

2. Visit your GP

Talking with your GP can be a good next step. He or she is likely to have a good overview of your health and will be best placed to help you.

If you’re not currently enrolled with a GP, you can find one on the website of your district health board:

Your GP will be able to point you in the right direction or refer you for extra help such as counselling. Alternatively they may recommend things for you to do at home or prescribe medication.

Compass Health Primary Solutions

If you live in Wellington or Wairarapa and your GP is a member of the Compass Health Primary Health Organisation (click here to check your practice), you may be eligible for their free Primary Solutions service. This is for:

  • people aged between 12 and 25 in Wellington, Porirua and Kāpiti,
  • people aged between 10 and 24 in the Wairarapa,
  • current Community Services Card holders, and
  • Māori or Pacific people aged 12 and over.

Services include assessments and brief counseling. Talk to your GP to find out more.

Ora Toa Mauriora

GPs that are part of the Ora Toa Primary Health Organisation (Porirua and Mount Cook, Wellington) can refer people to Ora Toa Mauriora, a kaupapa Māori primary mental health and addiction service. They provide free services to assist and support rangatahi and their whānau.

Check if your GP is part of Ora Toa and find out more about Ora Toa Mauriora here.

Te Awakairangi Health Network Wellbeing Service

If you live in the Hutt Valley, and are enrolled with a GP that is a member of Te Awakairangi Health Network, you may be able to access their free primary care mental health service for people with mild to moderate mental health and addiction problems. This is for people who are Māori or Pacific, who live in a low income area, are aged 12 to 19 or aged 20 to 24 and unable to find an alternative free or low cost service. 

Find out more about Te Awakairangi Health Network Wellbeing Service here.

Where else can you go for help?

If you are employed, you may be eligible for counselling or therapy as part of a scheme such as EAP (employee assistance programme).

Students may also have access to services through their education institution.

Last updated 25 March 2024.